Baby have Milk Allergy, What Should Mother Do?

Photo by J carter from Pexels

Cow milk allergy is one of the many health problems that occur in the Little One, especially those aged 1-3 years. This condition occurs as a reaction to the body’s rejection of substances contained in cow’s milk.

In Little One who is allergic to cow’s milk, generally he will also be allergic to goat or sheep milk. Allergic reactions that arise are also very very varied, from mild to severe and very fatal.

To prevent bad things from happening, you must know what to do when your child experiences an allergic reaction to cow’s milk.

Recognize the signs and symptoms of milk allergy

Cow milk allergy symptoms can appear in the digestive tract, skin and also the respiratory tract. Its appearance can be very fast, which is a few minutes to hours after drinking or eating dairy products.

Some milk allergic reactions that occur within minutes, including:

  • Red spots and itching on the skin
  • Swelling on the face
  • Sneezing or coughing
  • Throw up
  • Diarrhea

Meanwhile, symptoms that appear more slowly can be eczema on the skin, asthma, and diarrhea.

In some cases, an allergic reaction to milk can be very severe and life threatening for your child. This condition is called anaphylactic reaction, and symptoms include:

  • Hard to breathe
  • Difficult to talk
  • Severe headache
  • Passed out
  • Loss of consciousness

Anaphylactic reactions must be immediately handled by professionals, because they have the potential to threaten safety. But before that, Mother needs to take action first aid so that symptoms do not get worse quickly.

First aid milk allergy

As a first step, stop giving milk to The Little one. This includes all dairy products, such as cheese, yogurt and biscuits containing milk.

In this case, Mother must be very critical and observant of the food that will be given to the Little One. If you later want to provide ready-to-eat food, Mother must read the contents in it one by one. Do not let the milk content contained in these products, so as not to cause allergic reactions in your child.

The next step is to pay attention to the reactions that occur in the Little One. If you seem mild, you can give hypo-allergenic drugs that are generally already provided by a doctor to your child who has a history of allergies. However, if the reactions that occur are quite severe and very disturbing, immediately take your child to the hospital so that it can be handled quickly and appropriately.